This turmeric coconut stew, bursting with loads of flavour, can provide you with a big bowl of virtuous sunshine at this time of year! Feel free to add rice – jasmine works a treat – or other vegetables such as butternut squash, pumpkin or a waxy potato will all add substance.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp ground turmeric (or two thumb-sized pieces of fresh turmeric, finely chopped)
1 tbsp curry powder
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
400ml vegetable stock
1 x 400ml tin coconut milk or alpro coconut milk
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Juice of ½ lime
A handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place a large pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and fry for 6-8 minutes until soft.
2. Add the garlic, chilli, turmeric and curry powder and fry for a further 2 minutes until the spices release their aroma.
3. Add the sweet potato chunks and stir until coated in the spices, then pour in the vegetable stock, coconut milk and chickpeas.
4. Raise the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato tender.
5. Lastly, check the seasoning and stir through the lime juice and coriander.
6. Serve in deep bowls and enjoy!